Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Latin American Spanish vs. Spain Spanish



After a break from blogging I'm back!

I recently wrote an article about learning Latin American Spanish vs. Spain Spanish which you can read here. It's in English and Spanish.

This article also got my thinking about this same issue for translators and as a related post to this article, I've written about a small bee in my bonnet which may be a little controversial. I look forward to your comments.

I receive a lot of English to Latin-American Spanish translation offers in my inbox from dubious, translation agencies with questionable professionalism. What does Latin-American Spanish mean in written translation? In educated language there is no difference. “Latin-American Spanish" is not a real product for professional translation. It’s enough to read any educated translation to verify that it’s almost impossible to distinguish the translator’s nationality.  You only have to read the Spanish of Ortega y Gasset or Borges to illustrate my point. 

What these contractors of translation services really want to say in saying “Latin-American Spanish” is: "I’m looking for cheaper Spanish translations”. If the criterion is quality, the Spanish is good wherever it comes from.

Read the related post here.

2 comments:

  1. Otro error muy difundido es creer que en toda America hispana se habla un castellano homogeneo. Nada mas lejos de la realidad. Por ejemplo, el espanol de Argentina es muy diferente del espanol de Mexico y asi sucesivamente. La ignorancia y la generalizacion en lenguas pueden conducir a grandes confusiones.

    ReplyDelete